Favourite Asked Questions

How do I appoint Dunsborough Settlements as my settlement agent?

You will need to notify your Real Estate Agent that Dunsborough Settlements will be acting on your behalf. They will then forward the Contract and relevant documentation to us.

If there is no Real Estate Agent involved, please forward the Contract, any Annexures and your contact detail to us.


Private contracts

Dunsborough Settlements can assist with the writing of a contract.


I don’t live in Dunsborough. Can I use Dunsborough Settlements?

You sure can. Dunsborough Settlements is able to post and/or email documents to you for signing.


I am going on holidays before Settlement (or, I or work away.) What should I do?

Please contact us to make sure any necessary documents have been signed prior to you leaving and provide us with alternate contact details.


Can Dunsborough Settlements represent both the Buyer and the Seller?

Yes.  Dunsborough Settlements will ensure you are made aware if we are acting for both parties.  Should a conflict of interest arise during the settlement process, we will immediately notify you.


Why do I need to provide ID?

Government regulation now requires Verification of Identity (VOI) of all Sellers and Buyers. Our settlement agents are authorised to do this. Please bring your original Identification documents into our office. If you are unable to attend our office, Verification of Identity can be done at any Australia Post Office. We will supply you with a coded Land Title Identity Verification form to take to Australia Post. Australia Post charge $44 for a VOI.

Suitable forms of identification include your Passport, Drivers Licence, original birth certificate, Medicare card.  Please call us for a list of the full ID requirements.


FAQs for Sellers

What do I need to do regarding my mortgage?

It is important to contact your bank or Financial Institution immediately upon acceptance of an offer to prevent delays to Settlement. You will need to complete a Discharge Authority form so the Lender can commence the discharge process. The discharge process takes time, so it is important to attend to this as soon as possible.


Safety switches and smoke alarms

Regulations make it mandatory for at least two Residual Current Devices (safety switches) and at least one mains wired Smoke Alarm to be installed before a residential property can be leased or sold.

If your property was built prior to 1 January 2000 you may need to supply an Electrical Safety Certificate from a Licensed Contractor to certify that the property is compliant with regulations before Settlement can proceed.

DFES Smoke Alarm Information

RCD Fact Sheet


What other approvals will I need to get?

Australian Taxation Office (ATO) Clearance Certificate

If the property you are selling is worth $750 000 or more you will require an ATO Foreign Residents Capital Gains Tax Clearance Certificate to confirm you are an Australian resident. Non-Australian Residents are required to pay 12.5% of the purchase price to the ATO at settlement.

To apply for a Clearance Certificate please go to the ATO webpage. ATO Clearance Certificate


FAQs for Buyers

We are first home buyers? What do we do?

Information on the First Home Owner Grant and Duty Concession can be found at the Office of State Revenue’s webpage.

Office of State Revenue

First Home Owner Grant Fact Sheet


When can I get the keys to our new house?

If the Seller is not an owner/occupier, the keys and remotes are to be given to the buyer immediately after settlement has been completed.

If the Seller is an owner occupier, the Seller has until noon the day after Settlement to move out and organize transfer of keys and remotes.


What other approvals will I need to get?

Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) Approval

Non-Australian Residents require FIRB Approval to purchase property in Australia. For additional information or to apply please go to the  FIRB website. firb.gov.au